Alexandria Port is the leading center for the ports of the Arab Republic of Egypt in terms of the volume of commercial traffic, as about 60% of Egypt’s foreign trade is traded through it.
Alexandria is the second most important city in the Arab Republic of Egypt, with the main port area of 22.8 km2 and a plan to increase port capacity and storage spaces in the port based on the importance of the geographical and economic location of the port.
The Scope of works includes the following:
Increase the capacity and storage space for Alexandria port by:
1-Construction of a container berth on the northern side of the project site, with a length of 900 m and a depth of 17.5 m.
2-Construction of a container berth on the western side of the project site, with a length of 520 m and a depth of 17.5 m.
3-Construction a container berth on the southern side of the project site, with a length of 425 m and a depth of 14 m.
4-Construction a berth on the southern side of the project site for non-contained goods with a length of 505 meters and a depth of 14 meters.
5- Execution of storage yards at the project site, with Area 550000.
6- Construction of an environmental barrier of 2650 m length to protect the environment of the navigational stream in the port during sand filling works with supplied sand materials.
7- Backfilling works for the entire area of the project to execute and construct a berth and yards with estimated quantities of about 10 million m3, the backfill will be carried out by using land and marine equipment by Hopper dredger.
8- Executing the soil improvement works for the entire area of the project for the berth and yards with an area of 473.749 m2, by using Prefabricated Vertical Drains (PVD), Vibro-compaction (VC), and Rapid Impact Compaction (RIC).
9- After the completion of the soil improvement works, the initiation of construction of the berth with length 2350 m and 33.9 m in width, which consists of:
– Front diaphragm wall with a width of 1.20 m and a depth of up to 36.3 m and a length of 1420 m and estimated concrete quantities of 61.800 m3 for the berths with a depth of 17.5 m.
– Front diaphragm wall with a width of 1 m and a depth of up to 36.3 m and a length of 930 m and estimated concrete quantities of 33.759 m3 for the berths with a depth of 14.50 m.
– Piles with a diameter of 1.20 m and a depth of up to 36.3 m and 35.00 m with a total length of 42.028 m2 and estimated concrete quantities of 49.000 m3
– Barrettes with dimensions of 2.8 x 0.8 m and a depth of up to 36.3 m and 35.00 m with a total length of 42.028 m2 and estimated concrete quantities of 54.235 m3
10- After completing the construction works of piles and diaphragm walls, works of beams, girders, and slabs will be executed with total concrete quantities of 120.000 m3
11- The quantities of steel reinforcement planned to be used in the project to execute the works of piles, diaphragm walls, barrettes, beams, girders, and slabs, the estimated 85.000 tons.
12- After completing the work of the beams and girders, the initiation furnished the berth with 174 rubber fenders, 170 bollards, and the installation of ladders and a crane rail at the top of the berth.
13- After completing the soil improvement works for the yards, the initiation of execution of base coarse layer with 40 cm thickness which will be compacted on two layers for the surface area of the storage yard, which is estimated at 500.000 m2, and then it will be covered with an interlocking layer with a stress of 550 kg / cm2.
– The above scope of works was divided equally between Edecs for Engineering and Contracting company and Al Gharably Company.